top of page


Go back

What should I do?

The IRS sends notices or letters for any number of reasons. Contact Ghatrehee Law Firm PLLC who can help you understand the notice or letter as it may be about a specific issue on your federal tax return or account, or may tell you about changes to your account, ask you for more information, request a payment or it may be a threatening collection notice that is extremely important in which it gives us a strict 30 day window to file a Collection Due Process Hearing Request to stop further IRS collection action.

Understanding your Notice:

IRS notices and letters are numbered and provide contact information for questions. Both are usually shown in the upper right corner.


Each notice normally tells you:

- What the IRS is changing on your return or account, or needs more information about

- Why the IRS is making a change or needs that information

- Where to send your reply and by when (if a reply is needed)

There are a few main categories for notices:

Informational notices

Claiming certain tax credits and other interactions with the IRS may lead the IRS to send you a notice. Most of the time, they are just for your records and you don’t need to reply.

Notices about changes to your tax return or account

The IRS may have already made a change, or be looking at your return to see if there was a mistake. Please contact Ghatrehee Law Firm PLLC who will have instructions on if or how you we need to reply.

Some common notices of a change:

- An incorrect return, where you made a mistake

- Underreporting income, where it’s possible you didn’t report all your income

- You are being audited or the IRS has already audited you and is proposing changes.


If you are being audited, we strongly urge you not to represent yourself and to contact us as   soon as possible so we can represent you before your audit and protect your rights.

Notices where the IRS says you owe taxes

If you have a balance on your tax account, you’ll get a notice letting you know how much you owe, when it’s due, and how to pay.


If you can’t pay the full amount by that date, its very important that you contact Ghatrehee Law Firm PLLC so that we may help you figure out what payment options might work for your situation, and act to set up a payment plan or other way to pay off your balance.  You can Call our offices at (469)375-4553 or use the contact form to communicate via email.

Do You Have Questions? Contact us Today!

Success! Message received.

Attention, Very Important!
bottom of page